What’s on the menu?
Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
On the website www.foodmiles.com (by Veggie Trumps Ltd.) you can calculate how long the food travels before it gets to your table. Let the students make a menu and its calculation of travelling miles – and make discussion about consumption and possible ways to reduce the amount of CO2 emitted.
Use e.g these sites:
13 – 21 years old
- – knowledge of goal 12 – Responsible Consumption Production
- – knowledge of the travel of our everyday consumption
- – to find solutions for reducing CO2
- Innovative on trash/waste as a resource
- Responsible consumption
- What are the consequences of your consumption?
Lifelong learning key competences
Sense of initiative and entrepreneurship
Social and civic competencies
Useful videos to introduce the goal/theme:
Action on (over) consumption (3 min.)
#GlobalGoals 12: Responsible Consumption and Production – Can you make it happen? (1 min.)
Responsible consumption — the soft power of story telling: Guido Palazzo at TEDxLausanne (t-shirt dilemma – 16 min.)
Made in China – Factory of the World – Documentary
What’s on the menu?
Create a menu suggestion (or have the students do it). An example could be:
- Steaks from Argentina
- Tomatoes from the Netherlands
- Potatoes from Poland
- Wine from Australia
Dessert – Fruit salad
- Pineapple from Argentina
- Bananas from Costa Rica
- Apples from France
- Pears from Greece
- Grapes from Spain
- Cream from Denmark
Go to www.foodmiles.com
- Find calculations for the amount of kilometers that your foods have travelled
- What transportation options are there for the food?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages?
- Find calculation for carbon footprint – e.g. on: http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx
- Consider ways to reduce the amount of CO2 emitted
Complete the reflection work sheet connected to goal no. 12
The first part of the work sheet is to be completed before class, but the remaining parts are to be used for summing up and evaluating the theme in class.
Look at the other exercises connected to goal no. 12 – Responsible Consumption and Production
Ideas for actions
“Recycle”, “Buy sustainable products including electronics, toys, shampoo or seafood and organic groceries”. Find more ideas for actions in the: “170 good ideas for daily actions to transform our world” here: http://www.youneedtoknow.ch/