The United Nations
Goal 16: Peace, Justice and strong Institutions
This Power Point presentation explains the structure of the UN system and the type of work it does to achieve its aims. It also gives a short overview of the UN history and introduces the key agencies within the UN system.
13 – 21 years old
- – To introduce the aims of the United Nations
- – To introduce the key agencies within the United Nations system
- – To understand the work of the United Nations
- Conflict resolution behavior
- Critical thinking
- Be an active citizen
- What would the world look like without the UN?
- How integration and cooperation creates peace
- Decision making process at local, national, global level
Lifelong learning key competences
Social and civic competencies
Read and understand the notes for each slide before showing the power point presentation.
Video suggestions to introduce the goal/theme:
How Does The UN Work? (3:50 min.)
How Effective Is The United Nations? (2:46 min.)
How Powerful Is The United Nations? (2:52 min.)
Power Point Presentation
Complete the reflection work sheet connected to goal no. 16
The first part of the work sheet is to be completed before class, but the remaining parts are to be used for summing up and evaluating the theme in class.
Look at the other exercises connected to goal no. 16 Peace, Justice and strong Institutions
Ideas for actions
”Take re-useable bags to the store”, “Air dry. Let your hair and clothes dry naturally”, “Drive less. Walk, cycle, take public transport or car pool”. Find more ideas for actions in the: “170 good ideas for daily actions to transform our world” here: http://www.youneedtoknow.ch/